Organic gardening and homesteading
Organic Gardening and Homesteading provides you with valuable homesteading information as well as tips on frugal living and self reliance.
Learning Self Reliance Using Organic Gardening Techniques
and Frugal Living
And what will that mean to you?
The satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.
Think looking to yourself for food instead of a grocery store or fast food place. Knowing exactly what's going into your body, and what your children are eating, and even leaving the insanity of commutes, traffic, and crowds behind.
A Return to a Simpler Lifestyle
Less than a hundred years ago, the small farm was king. And if they didn’t live on a farm, at the very least folks had chickens in their backyards and grew their own vegetables.
But then big business came on the scene, and we all got office jobs. And women went to work, too, because why should men have all the fun?
So we all dressed up in our office clothes, dropped our kids off at the public school or daycare, spent hours in the car, sat at a desk for even longer hours, took half an hour at noon and raced to a nearby fast food place.
We’d eat fried chicken or a burger and fries that made us feel stuffed and miserable. Then we’d race back to the office so we could sit at our cubicles for a few more hours.
Then we climbed into our cars and drove home, where we were too tired to cook so we either picked up some more fast food that made us feel bloated and miserable or we popped a frozen meal into the microwave which wasn’t much better.
And then we drugged ourselves with television until it was bedtime, when we’d lay awake half the night struggling with insomnia. And we’d be sick all the time and wonder why.
Is That Really How You Want to Live?
There is another way, a way that will help you eat better, cut costs and even get out of debt. But growing foods organically and having a homestead is not just a way to get great food. It is also learning to slow down, to enjoy the simple life while working harder than you ever thought you could and loving every second of it.
It’s learning to live the frugal life so you don’t have to earn as much. And it can also mean finding alternative forms of income so you don’t have to make that commute everyday. Plus you don’t have to own a big plot of land either. It is not about owning an acreage, although folks who start down this road usually end up with an acre or two eventually! Instead, it's a way of life that can be lived just as easily in town as in the country.
You have a great life ahead of you, and this is the place to help you find it.
What Others Are Saying
I enjoy your sight and drop by often. I enjoy the herbs you sell and they are at a great price. We have a very small homestead where we raise chickens and some of our own food! I appreciate all those who try to live off the land!!!
What's Your Homesteading Story?
Are you keeping chickens and just got your first batch of eggs?
Grow a successful garden recently?
Found a frugal recipe you'd like to share?
Share your successful homesteading story. You don't have to be totally self reliant to share a story on My Homesteading Story.
Just share your story so others can cheer you on!
Submit your story right here
- Advertising Information and Disclosure
- Advertising information and disclosure for Organic Gardening and Homesteading
- Thanks for Stopping By to Contact Me at Organic Gardening and Homesteading
- Thanks for stopping by to contact me at Organic Gardening and Homesteading.
- Subscribe to Successful Homesteading
- A Free Monthly Ezine
- Successful Homesteading is a monthly e-zine covering everything about self-reliance and the healthy, frugal life.
- Natural Herb Medicine
- Natural herb medicine is growing - and using - herbs for healing. While this section is not intended to replace the medical advice of a physician, many have used healing herbs for years.
- What is Homesteading and
Why I'm Pursuing the Homesteading Life
- What is homesteading? The answer is different today than what it was more than a century ago. Homesteading in the early 19th century meant earning land by proving you could live off it for a few years
- You Can Build a Chicken Tractor - Step by Step Instructions
- You Can Build a Chicken Tractor - For Beginners, Experts and Everyone In Between
- Build Your Own Solar Powered Generator - Solar Power at a Fraction of the cost
- Build Your Own Solar Powered Generator - Solar Power at a Fraction of the Cost
- Facts About Goats and Self Reliance
- Knowing some facts about goats is a real plus if you plan on pursuing self-reliant living. A few goats on your property are a real asset if you want your own sourse of fresh, healthy milk.
- Why Raising Chickens Are
a Valuable Addition to Every Homestead
- Raising chickens in your backyard farm is the fastest way to a healthy organic garden, and a delightful way to make your homesteading more self-sufficient. Learn how to raise chickens.
- Honey Bee Beekeeping
- Honey bee beekeeping is a great part of self reliance and provides you with fantastic fresh, raw honey. Learn beekeeping basics and you'll have your own source of nutrition and even healing.
- Raising Cows
- Raising cows is a sensible way to make use of that extra land that isn't good for much else.
- Hog Raising - What We've Learned So Far
- Hog Raising is a great way to provide great-tasting meat for your freezer at a reasonable cost while utilizing a small amount of space.
- What is Personal Finance
- What is personal finance? Simply put, it is a way of living that will help you become debt free and not only survive difficult times, but thrive.
- Healthy Cheap Recipes For Long Life and a Healthy Homestead Budget
- Healthy cheap recipes are the best of both worlds. These delicious, healthy frugal recipes strengthen your body and your budget.
- Homemade Cleaning Products to Be a True Self Reliant Homesteader
- Homemade cleaning products. Make your own homemade cleaning solutions to save money, avoid harsh chemicals and enjoy the satisfaction of being a true self reliant homesteader.
- Quick Healthy Recipes for Families
- Quick healthy recipes for families that you make from scratch may sound like an oxymoron to some (sort of like the phrase "jumbo shrimp"), but these recipes typically take no more than half an hour.
- Tips to Homesteading
- Tips to homesteading wouldn't be complete without some pointers on how to keep from getting burned out.
- Urban Homesteading - Self Reliance for City Dwellers
- Urban homesteading can be tough sometimes. You want to become self-reliant, but instead of being surrounded by acres of farmland, you see nothing but acres of cement.
- Off the Grid Power Provides Free Energy
- Off the grid power is true self reliance, enabling you to have free electricity. Here's how.
- Homeschooling Versus Public Schools
- Homeschooling versus public schools. Once you begin pursuing the self reliant life, living the homeschool life with your children becomes a given.
- Can You Make Money Homesteading?
- Can you make money homesteading? Actually homesteading is a lifestyle rather than a vocation, but can you find a way to pursue your passion of self reliance, living off the land, and earn an income?
- Disaster Preparedness List - Being Prepared in the Face of Danger
- Disaster preparedness list. It's not only a crucial element of self sufficient living, but also pure survival.
- Benefits to Organic Gardening
- Benefits to organic gardening include the best, fresh delicious harvests without using harmful chemicals to help your plants grow.
- How Hydroponics Works
- How hydroponics works is a good thing to know if you want to grow fresh lettuce and other vegetables year round, even indoors, using far less space and water than conventional methods.
- Safe Table Saw Use
- Safe table saw use is not only possible, but occurs on a routine basis on homesteads and in workshops across the country.
- Adventures of Goose Poop Farm by Ric McDermott
- Adventures of Goose Poop Farm is the story of one man learning how to live the self-reliant life outside of Pepin, Wisconsin.
- The Homesteading Blog Keeps You Up-To-Date With What's New
- The Homesteading Blog keeps you up to date with everything new that's happening at Organic Gardening and Homesteading.
- Bartering Corner
- The bartering corner is where you can trade your homegrown products for items of equal value.
- FTC Disclosure for Organic Gardening and Homesteading
- FTC Disclosure for Organic Gardening and Homesteading
- All Natural Health Remedies
- All natural health remedies are good to know not only for a cost effective way of treating minor illnesses and injuries, but also for an emergency.